How to view this blog

Welcome! To get the most out of your visit, here are some tips. Some of posted photos that are quite small, but you can click on them to enlarge them. The YouTube link has a video player built in, which means you can just click on the YouTube image and a small window will open on the page and play the video. You can also double click on the image to enter my YouTube channel that has a lot more videos. If you like what you see, please leave a comment! Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Yeay for me!! From Monday, June 23, 2008

So I got the grades I needed to solidify my plans to Oaxaca! No more doubts, I am going on this trip! I am relieved, but also a little scared, because there is nothing stopping me anymore. Weird, something I really wanted is now in front of me, and I am like a deer in headlights. I am also adding on time to my trip- Extended family invited me to stay at their home in Guadalajara, in the state of Jalisco. Jalisco...aka...tequila, mariachis, basically, home to everything the world knows about Mexico. My parents are starting to get excited for me too, as my mom bought me a nifty travel purse. AS SEEN ON TV!! Seriously, it is pretty handy and I like it. Nothing says American like a bright green, Chinese leather good.It is a big deal for me that my parents are supportive of my decision to travel to Mexico, especially Oaxaca. My parents are Mexican immigrants-Dad came with his family in his late youth and Mom came illegally in her teens. They are informed of the news and current events going on in Mexico, but the lovely American media has influenced the Spanish-speaking American media outlets to also sensationalize the news. My parents met here in the US, and are from two distinct regions of Mexico, Dad is from Parral in the state of Chihuahua and my mom is from Culiacan in the state of Sinaloa. While Dads region is generally safe, Moms is the narco capital of the world. So when my Mom, who grew up around drug trafficking and mafiosos, heard I was going to Oaxaca, she flipped. Apparently, drug related murders and crime is nothing compared to riots. There is a history of political unrest in Oaxaca, and violent riots have occurred there a lot. Mom thought it was foolish of me to invest time (and all the $$$) in traveling to Oaxaca, since I would surely be a victim of a homemade bomb. And it is true, that in 2006, the first year of the Oaxaca program, the UCD students were evacuated from the city of Oaxaca. But things are cool now. Plus- the UC would never allow its students to travel to unsafe areas, right? Right.So now that the grades in check, the luggage and purse are in my possesion, and the folks have hopped aboard the Samantha train, its on!
Posted by ~*Samantha*~ at 6:56 PM 0 comments
Sunday, June 8, 2008

No comments: