How to view this blog

Welcome! To get the most out of your visit, here are some tips. Some of posted photos that are quite small, but you can click on them to enlarge them. The YouTube link has a video player built in, which means you can just click on the YouTube image and a small window will open on the page and play the video. You can also double click on the image to enter my YouTube channel that has a lot more videos. If you like what you see, please leave a comment! Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Leaving paradise has never been so good

Written on Novemer 22nd, the day before we left Puerto Escondido.
I have never been more glad to leave paradise. We were warned that being in close proximity to the group may cause some problems in our group dynamic, which according to our superiors, is the most cohesive and friendly group they’ve had in the 3 years of this program. While it has been friendly enough, people are getting really anxious and annoyed with each other and I do not like being in negative environments. Luckily, when I need to escape, the beach is a block away. In addition to grumpy people, close proximity has propelled a mini-epidemic of a raspy cough and we were threatened with pink eye. Guys, I love you, but I need my space!
My roommate Jennifer and I have been surfing a lot, and we have been taking lessons with Brenna and Yadiras boyfriend, Cipi. It’s been nice to have surf buddies! I have taken 2 classes and I have already been able to get up on the board, but taking formal classes has really helped me become aware of technique to help me ride the waves to shore and get up on the board quickly and with more solid footing. I really havent been able to surf too much this week since I am sick. Que lastima.
Oasis Surf and Language school is our host school in Puerto, and our surf instructor, Roger, is a local shaper (person who makes surf boards) and he is married to Sol, the head Spanish instructor, and they are an awesome couple. He is a pro-surfer who won last years Puerto Escondido surf tournament and she won this year’s boogie board competition. See, aren’t they a perfect couple?
Speaking of couples, here is a thought: Mexicans really like their güeras (blondes) and so when I go out, all my white girlfriends will get picked up on, and I won’t get any love :(. A local guy who befriended our group told me he thought I was a local girl who hung out with the group because he thought I was a host sister. I guess it’s cool to be confused for a local, but people don’t look at me as American. There is a French chef who is staying here at Casamar who I met on the beach, and, possibly partly because of the language barrier, he did not understand that I was American, and not a local. His bias against Americans was quite obvious after he understood I was from California...so I changed topics. But back to güeros...could my Mexican heritage have influenced my preference for partners? After pondering this while sunbathing on the beach, I decided not. Afterall, all my best friends since childhood have been white kids. At my elementary school at the time I was there, there weren't very many Latino kids, and first grade on, I entered the advanced courses, where there were even less Latinos, let alone minorities. In high school, Latino kids really didnt like me because they thought I was stuck up for various reasons. Now, I'm a lot of things, but stuck up is not one of them. Mom used to call me a coconut, brown on the outside, white on the inside. Is being acculturated a bad thing? Well, after taking this class, acculturation does have negative health outcomes, but nevermind that. Is my preference for white boys a result of my environment or my cultural influences, or both? Intersting stuff....
Anyways, I am sick like a dog right now and I havent been sleeping very well because I get these coughing fits in that wake me in the middle of the night. I feel bad for Jennifer because she is in the same room, but she says it doesnt wake up, so thats good. Maybe I got sick from going out a lot. No matter, I decided I do not like going out in Puerto and I didnt for the past few nights. You know, you would think it would be a fun party scene, but its too chill, no one dresses up to go out here. The music is weird...I can dig indie and jazz fusion type music, but not at a club. I tried to make it fun, but really, I would rather watch TV than go out to the bars in Puerto. I actually miss Freebar, even with is creepy old men and the mob of 14 year olds humping each other on the dance floor.
I miss Oaxaca...but when I go back its going to stressful because we have a ton of work to get done before December 6th. Oh, my time here is wrapping up...

No comments: